What Guides COTM?
Quality Occupational Therapy - Accountable to Manitobans
Our Mission is to protect the public by regulating occupational therapy practice in Manitoba.
“The College must carry out its activities and govern its members in a manner that serves and protects the public interest.” The Occupational Therapists Act (2002).
- Excellence - We strive to be and do the very best.
- Leadership - We demonstrate best practices in regulation.
- Respect - We trust our partners and work openly and honestly.
- Innovation - We collaborate to create unique approaches to opportunities and challenges.
- Integrity - We operate with fairness and transparency to ensure accountability.
- Stewardship - We are careful and accountable for all funds and are especially conscious of the impact of our decisions on our members.
- Social Accountability - We consider the welfare of the community in which we operate.
Strategic Plan 2020 - 2022 - A Summary
Strategic Direction # 1: Enhance Council Governance
- Goal #1: The COTM Council will focus on the organization’s key mandate.
- Goal #2: COTM will engage the public (a) to improve their understanding and confidence in how COTM regulates occupational therapists’ practice and (b) to inform the COTM council regarding the public’s needs and perspectives.
- Goal #3: The Council will provide oversight through a Risk Assessment and Management Program.
- Goal #4: The Council will guide and make real COTM’s commitment to cultural safety and humility.
Strategic Direction # 2: Confirm Competence and Build Public Confidence through the Continuing Competence Program (CCP)
- Goal #1: The CCP will outline clear expectations for members to meet basic competency standards that uphold the requirement of delivering safe and ethical OT services to the public.
- Goal #2: COTM will build public confidence in occupational therapists’ practice through an evidence-based and relevant continuing competence program.
Strategic Direction # 3: Support Quality Practice
- Goal #1: COTM will support the quality practice of occupational therapists through new and renewed resources.
Strategic Direction # 4: Enhance Complaint Investigation and Inquiry Processes
- Goal #1: COTM will refine processes to ensure that all files are managed in a manner that is objective, effective and consistent.
Strategic Direction # 5: Prepare for Regulated Health Professions Act Transition and Enhance Regulatory Structures
- Goal #1: COTM regulatory structures will align with the RHPA.
- Goal #2: COTM will modernize its regulatory processes.