The Council approves practice directions which are written statements to enhance, explain, or guide occupational therapists with respect to matters described in The Occupational Therapists Act or any other matter relevant to occupational therapy practice. Compliance with practice directions is required; these expectations also serve as a legal reference to describe reasonable and prudent occupational therapy practice.
Practice guidelines approved by the COTM Council help occupational therapists meet ACOTRO's Essential Competencies of Practice for Occupational Therapists in Canada by: 1) increasing members' knowledge of their responsibilities, 2) describing expectations for practice, 3) defining safe, ethical, competent practice, and 4) guiding critical thinking for everyday practice.
- Practice Guideline for Managing My Practice, 2020 (new)
- Managing Client Information - Meeting Legislative Obligations 2017 (replacing Client Records in Occupational Therapy Practice)
- Assignment and Supervision in Occupational Therapy Practice
- Informed Consent in Occupational Therapy Practice
- Occupational Therapy Assessment
Guidance documents provide occupational therapists with information on a key topic to support their reflection on an issue or matter relevant to occupational therapy practice.