Phase 1: Establishing Academic Eligibility
COTM will not begin to examine your educational documents until all of the documents required in this phase are received. You can do this phase before you arrive in Manitoba.
To establish academic eligibility, you must send COTM the following:
- Completed, signed, and dated COTM Application for Registration form
- Initial Application Fee in Canadian Funds (see Annual Fee Schedule in Further Reading section)
- Proof of identification
- Official final transcripts for your occupational therapy degree or diploma
- Copy of any other academic degrees or diplomas
Application for Registration and Initial Application Fee
The application form is a legal document. You must answer all sections completely and accurately. You may indicate on the application form that you are supplying documents for completion of Phase 1 only, however, in all cases, you must fill in all sections of the Application for Registration Form. This will give COTM an opportunity to review your overall application and identify any potential concerns. The application form must be signed. You should make a copy for your own records.
- Signed and completed Application for Registration form
- Initial application fee in Canadian Funds - see Annual Fee Schedule. This application fee is non-refundable.
Incomplete application forms will not be processed.
- Application for Registration – 129KB
Proof of Identification
The name you provide in the “Name you use on your professional documents” box will be the name that is entered on the COTM register, and must be the same name by which your clients and colleagues will know you. Your registration card, certificate and tax receipt, and correspondence from COTM will all be issued in this name.
- Photo identification. Examples are: birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, permanent resident card or citizenship card. If there is no photograph on your personal identification, you must include a notarized passport size photograph. (This is a photograph certified by a notary public.)
- If your name has changed, you must list all your previous names so your application can be processed properly.
- If any of the documents in your application were issued under a previous name, you must include an official document (such as a marriage license) that verifies your name change.
Occupational therapy education received at any accredited Canadian university is accepted as meeting the education standard required for registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba.
- You must make arrangements to have your university send an official final transcript directly to COTM. COTM will not accept transcripts unless they are received directly from the university or college in a sealed envelope.
- A copy (photocopy) of other degrees or diplomas that you hold.
- If you are applying under the LMSA, your education documents will be forwarded by your current regulator as part of the LMSA package
- Students: If you have not yet graduated, a letter confirming your completion of all academic and fieldwork requirements from a senior official of your academic program will be accepted in the interim. You must request that the university send a copy of your transcript directly to COTM when it becomes available. Include a copy of the request with your application as confirmation that you have completed this step.
What Happens Next
After receiving all of the information needed in Phase 1, COTM will evaluate your academic eligibility.